About Carbon Monoxide (CO) – An Invisible Risk
It is odorless, colorless, and tasteless – and it kills hundreds of Americans each year. What is this you may ask? It is Carbon Monoxide, also known as CO. This gas can quickly cause severe illness and even death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and mental confusion. Breathing in this almost undetectable gas can cause you to lose consciousness and even die. CO can build up rapidly in enclosed spaces, like a home. Common sources of carbon monoxide include furnaces, stoves, lanterns, and burning wood. Your red blood cells pick up and retain CO quicker than they can pick up oxygen. The result is that vital oxygen may not reach your body, causing damage and eventually, death. If you suspect you or anyone is dealing with CO poisoning, you must get into fresh air and seek professional medical aid.
Detecting & Alerting | CO “Smart” Detectors
With some gas leaks, your sense of smell can be a quick indicator that something is amiss. Unfortunately, this is not the case with CO due to its odorless nature. To alert you to any CO build-up, a carbon monoxide detector is vital and is a crucial part of ANY home’s safety equipment. These CO detectors can often plug directly into any outlet and include a battery backup. It is critical that you test your detectors regularly and replace the battery at regularly scheduled intervals. Here at M&M Fire Protection & Security, we treat the installation of CO detectors as a standard part of our whole-home safety and security mindset. The CO detectors we recommend come from Resideo. These systems not only allow you peace of mind but offer a number of handy features that will assist you in keeping you and your family safe. These smart-detectors connect to your home’s security panel. This allows for whole-home audio alarms if CO is detected, automatic (silent) performance checks of the system every several minutes, low battery alerts, 24/7 monitoring, and much more. Some of the models also double as a smoke alarm, reducing the pieces of equipment needed per room!
A professionally monitored security system from M&M Fire Protection & Security is much more than just security cameras. Protecting you from the silent killer that is carbon monoxide is just another component of one of our complete security solutions.
Key Carbon Monoxide Facts (From the CDC)
- Every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning.
- Approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO poisoning.
- Red blood cells pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen.
- When you inhale CO, your body replaces the oxygen in blood with CO.
- People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.
- Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.
- Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.
- Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
- Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.
- If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.
- If CO poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional right away.
- Via CDC.gov
Ensuring Safety & Security Since 1993
M&M Fire Protection & Security stands ready to assist you in implementing the whole home safety solution that is right for you and your family. Utilizing our hard-won security expertise, we work to tailor each project to fit each of our client’s particular wants and needs. From fire protection equipment to basic security cameras, our expert technicians are ready to serve YOU throughout the Michiana area!
About Us: Serving the Michiana region since 1993, M&M is your local security company with nationwide expertise. Headquartered in Goshen, Indiana, we are proud to be a member of our vibrant, growing community. Contact our team of expert technicians today for more! [Click here to drop us a line.]